What step do you think is the most important when it comes to Content Modeling?

Userlevel 4

71 replies

Badge

For me, the most important is the creation of the content type fields, making sure that they fullfill the requirenments.

Designing the content type based on the requirenments is a very important step.

Badge

In my opinion, finalizing the design requirement is the most important step, as it reduces the chance of overlooking and/or missing a step in content modeling and creation which could cause overwork trouble or worse, lost of data. 

Finalizing a design can make sure different teams (development, product, stakeholders) set expectations that align with the actual scope, which helps them to better organize the content to make the most out of the modeling. 

I agree on @mengw . For me the most important should be finalizing the design requirements for the content types to be created more efficiently.

For me it is important to have a set of processes, design analysis, business analysis, and so on...analysis of the system as a whole like global product because the system can expand and can works only not only on the computer, but also on other devices. Models should be clear and easy to extend.

Building a content model typically ends up in the hands of a technical team member like a developer or a content manager. 

However, it’s important for the whole team (e.g., content strategists, content creators, content marketing professionals, and other stakeholders whose jobs impact content management) to understand how and where their content is used.

Content modelling can also help you see the gaps in your existing content. As you can visualize how web pages and other pieces of content work together, you’ll start to see areas where you can improve content production to fill in the gaps, answer FAQs, and improve SEO.

I agree with you, teamwork is the way to build a really good system!

Badge

In my opinion, all steps done in a proper sequence are important for a successful content modelling exercise.

• Analyzing requirements - The first and foremost basic step.
  • Identifying structure - Most important step after analysis is to identify the page / component models and their respective field structuring.
  • Establishing relationships - Any references / reusability of models need to be well thought of upfront.
  • Developing the content type - Defining field types, data formatting, data validations, etc. is required before wiring it up to the application code.

In my opinion both web design and modeling are both important. Having a good design system will help to promote reusability and make it easier to create a good model. Besides that a good modeling will make it easier scaling in case changes to the model may be required.

Badge

The most important step is analysing the requirements. If you get this step wrong there’ll be a lot of extra work (and pain!) further down the line. Taking the time to properly think through what the various components of a design are and how they fit together will be a solid foundation for building the website.

Badge

The most important step, when it comes to Content Modeling, is to analyze the final design and understand the content/component itself, and any different variations of that component that might occur in the designs. This ensures the project team will create a model that is easy to understand for our content authors, and that the model works for all given use cases of that component. The Developer and/or IA must review the designs together, and everywhere this content type appears, identify the different fields (and options within those fields) that are needed. Defining and documenting the fields within a Content Model, how they’ll be used, and what’s required (or not) is very important, as missing/updating any of this could cause rework down the road.

Badge

Probably double checking everything before starting to create

For me the most important step is the analysis of the requirements. Is where all the information is gathered to guarantee the quality and the work made afterwards is correct and on point with the expectations about the product to build. If this step is done wrong, most likely everything else will be wrong.

I’ll agree here. No sense in making great pizza if upon delivery the hungry customer sees something they didn’t order.

Badge

Content Modelling is a process which involves:
1. Analyzing the requirements
2. Identifying the structure
3. Establishing relationships
4. Development

I consider analyzing the requirements the most important step, because without analyzing the requirements to figure out what kind of content is needed, I cannot proceed with any of the following steps.

P.S.: The Content Modelling course brought me here.

Badge

You can’t build anything if you don’t know what it’s supposed to do; analyzing the requirements is the first domino, without which no other dominoes can fall. Every step is equally important; but without the first step, you can’t have the others.

Badge

Understanding the content model—particularly attributes that are immutable or that are shared across multiple types—since these will be difficult to change once production content is in the system. Having a good understanding of roles and workflows as they relate to the model is also super important. A great content model that doesn’t fit well into the users’ workflow will probably not see much success.

Badge

I think that analyze the product requirements is the most important thing in the Content modeling process. This provides a global view of the project and can provide us with the best ways to handle the workflow of it.

Analyzing all of the versions of the content structure to make sure the models you are creating a consistent and allow a certain level of reusability is one of the most important steps which guarantees that you won’t have to come back and constantly tweak the content models every time you find new variations.  

Badge

Planning of fields and types. That could and should involve members of customer success, design, content and development teams, to evaluate requirements, naming conventions, SEO needs, client goals and whatever else necessary to the project (say, sales to input on product types for example).

Badge

Analyzing the webpage is the most important step. When we start analyzing the page we gather the requirements for all types of contents. Also once we gathered all the content requirements we can check which concepts can be used to optimize the content in a better way. So once designs are ready we have to spend time on analyzing the webpages.

Badge

Analyze the page well and break down the page elements into appropriate components. 

Badge

For me, analyzing the requirements is the most important step. The team should discuss requirements with the end users (editors, site managers, etc) to avoid misunderstanding and errors in the implementation. If there are errors in this step, there will probably be errors in the following ones, impacting the webpage’s structure. That’s why it should be done accurately and as a first step.

Badge

being organized when creating anything. if things like content types are created haphazardly you will end up with a mess that will become a problem for everyone else later on. coordinate with the team ahead of time, get things planned out well, then execute that plan. iterate as needed. 

Badge

Getting the requirements settled is the most important. Everything else flows from knowing what needs to be built, the how comes after. A lot of time is saved down the line from doing proper requirements analysis. 

Badge

The most important part for me is the requirements analysis. On this face, if successfully performed, all the modeling work will be much easier and even for future modifications.

Badge

Working with the designers early on - either when wireframes are created and/or the full design, is the most important step IMO. This will help create accurate content models and reduce errors in development later on.

Badge

I think "Analyzing requirements" is the most important step. Because all the next steps depend on it.

Badge

Analyzing and defining the content models before starting content creation makes it easier for developers to structure the app/website without having to worry about major changes.